- Develop new technical and professional skills through exposure to a diverse range of practical, complex tax issues
- Grow your confidence in advising businesses and individuals on how to effectively manage their tax affairs
- Work towards earning your Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting
Develop the skills to drive business success
All business decisions have tax implications. Being proficient in tax is essential for Chartered Accountants required to provide accurate professional advice.
This course will advance your technical knowledge of tax, and also develop broader business skills in problem solving, critical thinking, research and evaluation.
The tax module examines and applies relevant tax law to various tax entities and covers:
- Tax fundamentals
- Trading stock
- Employment remuneration
- Capital gains tax (AUS module only)
- Tax losses
- International tax
- Tax planning
Course structure and format
This 12-week course is one of five compulsory modules of the Chartered Accountants Program.
Enjoy supported learning through an online learning platform and interactive resources, including:
- Online communities where you can network with other candidates
- Technical discussion forums where your questions will be answered by specialist Chartered Accountants
- Peer discussion forums
- Access to resources including a study guide, exam preparation series and materials
- Real-world worked examples and activities
- Virtual sessions and recordings which take you through real-world worked examples and activities based on integrated, complex scenarios
CA Study Masterclass
Additional face-to-face support is also available through our popular CA Study Masterclass. These optional workshops can help you stay on track with your learning and prepare for assessments and the final exam.
Extra Study support
Need extra support with your CA Program study? Find out more about CA Study MasterclassFind out more
What you need to know
Assessments for this module includes:
- Three online assessments throughout the module, which makes up 20% of your final result
- A final open book written exam that makes up 80% of your final result.
All candidates enrolled in this course are expected to have met the course entry requirements for the CA Program.
View Course Entry Requirements
CA Program Entry Requirements.Course Entry Requirements
You will be expected to have a basic understanding of Taxation from your undergraduate studies.
Prepare for your course by reading through the assumed knowledge section in the module outline.
Australian and New Zealand differences
We offer two separate modules for Australian and New Zealand tax.
You can choose to enrol in either, irrespective of where you live. Candidates generally enrol in the taxation module relevant to the location they work in.
Both modules meet the relevant education regulatory requirements for the Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting.
There are no additional requirements for bridging subjects for candidates who already have an accredited degree from the neighbouring country.
Each candidate is responsible for ensuring they have the necessary assumed knowledge relevant to the taxation module selected.
Prescribed reading material
Australian Reading Material
Required: Core Tax Legislation and Study Guide 2018, 21st edn, Barkoczy, Oxford University Press Australia
Available for purchase from UNSW Bookshop
New Zealand Reading Material
Required: 2018 Tax Legislation for Students (Wolters Kluwer)
Optional: 2018 Master Tax Guide (Wolters Kluwer)
Available for purchase from Wolters Kluwer.
Include discount code 'NTAX10' for a 10% discount on online purchase.
Read the CA Program policies
Access CA Program policies to be informedProgram policies