- Objectively evaluate your own practice for continuous improvement
- Engage with the Code of Ethics which underpins the accounting profession
- Work towards your Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting
In Ethics and Business, you are introduced to skills for professional reflection. This is essential for objectively evaluating your own practice, for continuous improvement, and to consider the Code of Ethics that informs all of the sub-disciplines of accounting. You get a chance to analyse an organisation and its business environment, examining how it creates value in the context of ethical decision making. You’re encouraged to take a holistic view when analysing an organisation, going beyond the numbers and asking ‘why’. This holistic analysis provides the foundation to identify risks, evaluate alternative options and make sound recommendations. A key component of this subject is an interactive workshop where you collaborate to consider ethical issues and apply professional judgement to topical and authentic ‘what if’ business scenarios. This is the first subject in the Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting.
- Personal development
- Ethical requirements for members
- Analysing a business
Subject learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Research an organisation and its environment to identify and evaluate factors that influence business decision-making
- Reflect on your own knowledge, skills and experience, and on areas for further development as a Chartered Accountant
- Apply the International Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants to address common ethical dilemmas
- Collaborate with peers and communicate information effectively
Course structure and format
This 2-week course is the first subject for the Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting.
Enjoy supported learning via an online learning platform and interactive resources, including:
- Online communities where you can network with other candidates
- Technical discussion forums where your questions will be answered by specialist Chartered Accountants
- Peer discussion forums
- Real-world examples and activities
- Virtual sessions and recordings which take you through real-world worked examples and activities based on integrated, complex scenarios
What you need to know
Assessments give you an opportunity to demonstrate your learning. Grades for all assessments in this subject, and for the final result in this subject, are Ungraded Pass or Ungraded Fail. To receive an Ungraded Pass in this subject you must:
- complete all assessments
- pass all assessments
If you are enrolled in this subject, you are expected to have met the course entry requirements for the CA Program.
Warning: The information on this page is indicative. The subject outline for a particular subject, location and mode of offering is the authoritative source of all information about the subject for that offering. Required texts, recommended texts and references in particular, are likely to change. Candidates will be provided with a subject outline once they enrol in the subject.
Already enrolled in the current CA Program?
Click here for subject descriptions of the CA Program in teach out (not open for admission)Find out more