- A SMSF specialisation promotes you as a trusted leader in a growing industry
- Recognition expands your network and enhances your personal brand in this space
- You can choose from a range of flexible pathways to complete the program
Take the next step
Lead the way in providing trusted services to the superannuation industry by becoming a self-managed super fund (SMSF) specialist.
SMSFs account for about one-third of total superannuation assets in Australia, and the sector is growing and evolving. Becoming a CA SMSF Specialist can open doors for you in this dynamic industry because it recognises your advanced expertise in administering, auditing and advising on SMSFs.
Realise the benefits
- Build your brand -Adding CA SMSF Specialist under your name on correspondence and marketing collateral sets you apart from the rest. You also have the exclusive right to include the CA ANZ branded specialist banner in your communications.
- Open doors - As a CA SMSF specialist, you can capitalise on opportunities of referrals from other practitioners, strategic partners, associated professionals and clients.
- Expand your network - Networking events with your peers can provide insights into your field and forge valuable business relationships.
- Strengthen your reputation -Your recognition as a CA SMSF Specialist acknowledges your skills, knowledge and experience to clients.
- Expand your reach - Be included in the “Find a CA” searchable directory of CA SMSF Specialists located on the CA ANZ website. This promotes you to the broader community as an expert in this field.
- Stay ahead of the curve - You will have access to complimentary professional development exclusive to CA SMSF Specialists, plus receive a discount on the SMSF Conference fee.
The specialisation is held in high esteem professionally, and will provide access to more events, discussion and consultation groups
How to become a CA SMSF Specialist
You need to be a current member and meet educational and experience criteria, including the requirements of regulations CR6 and CR6A. There are two pathways you can choose from:
- Post-graduate studies
- Self-study course or workshop program
Pathway 1 – Post-graduate studies
Follow these steps
1.Review the requirements. You need at least two years of practical SMSF experience within the last five years, where at least 40% of your employment was related to SMSF.
You also need to have successfully completed three mandatory subjects as part of an award program through UNSW:
- Taxation of Superannuation
- Self Managed Superannuation Funds Law; and
- Taxation Strategies in Financial Planning.
These subjects must have been completed within the five years prior to your application.
2. Outline your experience. Complete and return the SMSF Specialisation Pre-enrolment form.
3. Enrol at UNSW. Enrol in the appropriate course including the three mandatory subjects listed in step 1.
4. Apply for recognition. Complete and return the SMSF Specialisation Application for Recognition form, attaching references and education documents.
You’ll need to provide with your application two professional references from individuals who can positively attest to your skills and knowledge in SMSF. One reference must be from a Chartered Accountant with at least three years’ membership who has known you for 12 months or more.
Finalise your application by attaching the following:
- a certified copy of your qualification
- an academic transcript related to the qualification which details the subjects your undertook and their successful completion.
- The subjects must include the mandatory subjects listed in step 1.
5. Application review. Following a review of your application you will be informed by email if you have been approved or declined.
If approved, you will receive a welcome pack containing your approval letter and your certificate. You will be emailed a tax invoice which includes the application fee and the pro-rated subscription fee.
If you are declined because based on your application you do not satisfy the identified criteria, you will not be charged any fees.
Enrol at UNSW
Get started on your SMSF specialisation
Pathway 2 – Self-study course or workshop program
Follow these steps
1. Review the requirements - You need to be a Chartered Accountant or Affiliate with at least four years of practical SMSF experience within the previous 10 years, where at least 40% of your employment was related to SMSF.
You will also need to successfully complete the Kaplan specialisation online workshop. This involves an assessment, which you can undertake either by exam or a portfolio interview. This must be completed within the five years prior to your application.
2. Outline your experience - To get started, complete and return the CA SMSF Specialist Pre-enrolment form provided here.
3. Enrol at Kaplan - Enrol in the Kaplan online course using the link provided by CA ANZ.
4. Complete education - Successfully complete the Kaplan online course 'SIS Regulation and Taxation'.
You’ll need to provide two professional references from individuals who can positively attest to your skills, knowledge and experience in SMSF with your application. Consider the following when choosing your referees:
1. One referee must be a Chartered Accountant with at least three years’ membership who has known you for 12 months or more.
2. The two referees should not be from the same organisation.
3. The referees must not be related to you.
Provide a copy of your certificate as evidence of your successful completion of the online Kaplan course via the assessment process.
6. Application review - Following a review of your application you will be informed by letter if you have been approved or declined. You will also receive the CA SMSF Specialist signature banner for your promotional use.
If approved, you will receive a welcome pack containing your approval letter and your specialisation certificate. You will be emailed a tax invoice which includes the application fee and the prorated subscription fee.
If you are declined because you do not satisfy the identified criteria, you will not be charged any fees.
What else you need to know
- What are the benefits
- Specialist accreditation fees
- 2019 intake dates
- Ongoing obligations
Register your interest
Find out about leading the way as an SMSF SpecialistRegister
Enrol In Our Training Courses
Visit our education store for more information.Find out more