- Learn how to prepare, interpret and analyse financial statements
- Apply your knowledge of accounting standards to practical situations
- Work towards your Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting
Term 1 Enrolments
Enrol in FIN119 before 14 December.Enrol now
Expand and build your accounting knowledge
A thorough understanding of financial accounting is the foundation of an accountant’s work.
Succeed and progress your career by learning how to prepare, interpret and analyse financial statements in a diverse range of financial accounting and reporting situations.
This 12-week course will help you understand the underlying framework and concepts behind financial reporting to enable you to prepare financial statements with reference to the Accounting Standards and pronouncements.
It will also provide practical opportunities to apply your knowledge to a variety of realistic scenarios.
Topics covered include:
- how to present financial statements
- property, plant and equipment
- foreign exchange
- financial instruments
- share-based payments
- accounting for subsidiaries
- fair value measurement
- intangible assets
This course will advance your technical knowledge of financial reporting, and also develop broader business skills in problem solving, critical thinking, research and evaluation.
Course structure and format
This 12 week course is one of five compulsory modules of the Chartered Accountants Program.
Enjoy supported learning through an online learning platform and interactive resources, including:
- Online communities where you can network with other candidates
- Technical discussion forums where your questions will be answered by specialist Chartered Accountants
- Peer discussion forums
- Access to resources including a study guide, exam preparation series and materials
- Real-world worked examples and activities
- Virtual sessions and recordings which take you through real-world worked examples and activities based on integrated, complex scenarios
Additional face-to-face support is also available through our popular CA Study Masterclass.
These optional workshops can help you stay on track with your learning and prepare for assessments and the final exam.
Extra study support
Need extra support with your CA Program study? Find out more about CA Study MasterclassFind out more
What you need to know
Assessments for this module includes:
- Three online assessments throughout the module, which makes up 20% of your final result
- A final open book written exam that makes up 80% of your final result.
All candidates enrolled in this course are expected to have met the course entry requirements for the CA Program.
CA Program entry requirements.Read more
You will be expected to have a basic understanding of financial accounting and reporting from your undergraduate studies.
Prepare for your course by reading through the assumed knowledge section in the module outline.
Test your knowledge
You can also test your current knowledge by taking a short quiz.Quiz
Prescribed reading material
Financial Reporting Handbook Australia 2017, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, John Wiley & Sons
Financial Reporting For Profit Handbook New Zealand 2017, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, John Wiley & Sons
Read the CA Program policies
Access CA Program policies to be informedProgram policies