English language requirement for skills assessment

See CA ANZ's minimum scores accepted from English approved providers in order to achieve a suitable skills assessment.

English test requirement

The English language for migration skills assessment is a mandatory requirement for all applicants. There are strictly no exemptions. All applicants will be assessed against the same assessing criteria.

To ensure all applicants are assessed equally, the English language requirement of skills assessment may sometimes differ from other English proficiency requirements you encounter throughout your visa application process.

Confirmation of your English Language proficiency is required by providing evidence from only one of the following approved providers:

CA ANZ will only accept English test results undertaken within three years prior to applying for skills assessment.


IELTS Academic or General training is accepted for provisional skills assessment.

IELTS Academic is required for full (permanent) skills assessment. Please note: only Academic IELTS test can be accepted for full (permanent) skills assessment.

From 14 December 2022, IELTS One Skill Retake (OSR) will be available for certain test takers. OSR allows test takers to retake one of the four test components in either reading, writing, speaking or listening (once only).

CA ANZ will accept Academic IELTS test results that include OSR. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for acceptable visa subclasses. 

Minimum scores for each of the components to be achieved to meet the English language requirement:

Listening Reading  Writing Speaking 
Provisional skills assessment IELTS General or Academic   6  6  6  6
Full (permanent skills assessment) IELTS Academic   7  7  7  7

Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic

For PTE Academic CA ANZ requires the report form with Score Report Code (SRC). The SRC is 10 digits long and is a combination of letters and number, and was introduced in 2019 to replace the use of the Registration ID. The SRC can be found at the top of the test taker’s score report, underneath their name. The new Score Report Website has eliminated the need for you to assign your scores to CA ANZ.

If your test result does not have a SRC, you can simply log into your PTE Academic account and re-download your score report. The SRC is featured underneath your name.

If you still need to assign your scores to CA ANZ, access Pearson/PTE Academic and type Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand in the field marked “Institution/Organization/Department/School” and click “Search”. PTE results may not be available for verification for up to 72 hours after authorisation has been granted.

Minimum scores for each of the components to be achieved to meet the English language requirement:

  Listening   Reading Writing Speaking
Provisional skills assessment  PTE Academic 50 50 50 50
Full (permanent skills assessment) PTE Academic 65 65 65 65


Minimum scores for each of the components to be achieved to meet the English language requirement:

  Listening Reading  Writing Speaking
Provisional skills assessment  TOEFL IBT  12 13  21  18 
Full (permanent skills assessment) TOEFL IBT   24 24  27  23 

Message from TOEFL: The Australian Department of Home Affairs actively reviews all English language tests it recognises as part of its standard evaluation process and is currently reviewing the enhanced TOEFL iBT test, which will be administered worldwide starting July 26, 2023. Pending completion of this evaluation, only valid TOEFL iBT scores from tests taken prior to 26 July, 2023 will be recognised for relevant visa sub-classes to Australia.

Please note: Pending completion of this evaluation, only TOEFL iBT scores/results from tests taken prior to 26 July 2023 will be accepted by CA ANZ.

Cambridge English C1 Advanced (formerly CAE)

CA ANZ recognises CAE tests completed on or after 1 January 2015.

Minimum scores for each of the components to be achieved to meet the English language requirement:

   Listening  Reading Writing  Speaking 
Provisional skills assessment CAMBRIDGE (CAE)    169 169 169 169
Full (permanent skills assessment)  CAMBRIDGE (CAE)   185  185  185  185

Accounting Professional Year Program (Accounting PYP)

The Accounting Professional Year Program is approved by the Department of Home Affairs. It is available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study with an Australian University.

   Accounting PYP   
Full (permanent) skills assessment   (completion certificate and academic transcript)

What you should know

  • Providing invalid English language test results and/or failing to demonstrate English language required score and/or failing to present English language test results in the application may result in immediate unsuccessful outcome.
  • Please ensure you provide a valid English Language Proficiency test report along with your qualification assessment application, including updates and additional ANZSCO code reviews.
  • If you are simply wanting to know if additional study is required in order to meet the competency areas, you can request an assessment without an English test. However, the assessment outcome will be negative. Once you have completed the additional studies and English test, you can apply for a review.
  • The Department of Home Affairs advised home/online English Language Tests are not currently recognised for migration skills assessments. CA ANZ will only accept results from tests performed at authorised test centres.
  • CA ANZ will conduct verification of all English language test results through the test provider’s portal.

Step 4 - Skilled Employment Assessment

Read more


The content on this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not take into account your personal circumstances, details or requirements. Chartered Accountants Australian and New Zealand (CA ANZ) does not provide specific advice in relation to migration or visa requirements. Enquiries relating to visa, points table and migration requirements should be directed to the Australian Government, Department of Home Affairs. You should seek independent professional advice regarding your specific circumstances and consult with the Department of Home Affairs as necessary.

For our full website terms and conditions click here.

Search related topics