About the Not-for-profit Board Experience Program
The Not-for-profit Board Experience program is for early and mid-career CAs who want first-hand experience with NFP Board members as a Board Observer.
Not only can Board members of Not-for-profit organisations build rewarding relationships with the mentee, they can also help them develop opportunities that have a positive impact on their communities.
Board Observers are matched with a Director on an NFP Board to mentor them as they observe board meetings. Board Observers also attend formal workshops facilitated by the Governance Institute while working towards obtaining the Certificate in Governance for Not-for-Profits from the Governance Institute.
Program details for Board Observers
During the program Board Observers:
- Attend and observe Board meetings over duration of the program
- Have discussions with Board members on relevant activity and for preparation for meetings
- Attend five, 4-hour workshops during the program, run by corporate governance experts at the Governance Institute
- Attend three scheduled networking events to meet participating Boards members and peers
- Present their experiences to other program participants at the debrief event
On successful completion of the program Board Observers are eligible for CPD from 20 hours*^
* Additional CPD hours eligible for attending scheduled networking events
^Additional hour-for-hour CPD eligible for Board meetings attended
Participants can progress straight to GIA Assessment for full accreditation once they have completed the five workshops.
This is your opportunity to make a difference to CAs looking to take a leadership position on a Not-for-profit Board and provide skills and expertise guidance to members who want to help their communities. The program is voluntary for members who currently sit on a Not-for-profit Board.
Program details for Board Members
During the program Board Members will
During the program Board Members will:
- Be assigned an early to mid-stage CA ‘Board Observer’;
- Contact their Board Observer to organise and support their attendance at Board meetings
- Meet with them between board meetings (online or face to face) to discuss Board activity and prepare for discussions and future meetings
- Attend three scheduled networking events to meet other participating board members and peers
- Support and promote the program within your network
As a mentor in the program, Board Members are eligible for CPD from 4 hours*
*Mentors in the NFP Board Experience Program are entitled to claim CPD hours for the duration of all board meetings attended by their Board Observer. In addition to this, CPD hours are also applicable for attending the NFP Board Experience Program open and close events and mid-way catch-up.
How are program participants matched?
Matches are based on mentee career goals, Not-for-profit interests, and a mentor's background, Not-for-profit experience and governance competencies.
How to apply
Applications are open to Chartered Accountants ANZ members in NSW, VIC, TAS, QLD, SA, NT and WA.
Applications for the NFP Board Experience program are open and will close 31 October 2021. Applicants to the program need to complete a profile questionnaire to be submitted with the application. Confirmed matches will be invited to a program launch in February. The program will conclude in November 2022.
NB: When assessing applications, our team may find that applicants are more suited for one of the other mentoring programs. If so, we will reach out to discuss the opportunity further.
The Not-for-Profit Board Experience Program is voluntary for mentors to participate in.
The application fee for Board Observers is AUD $165. This amount will be deducted from the full fee once successfully matched in the program. If you are not successfully matched this amount will be refunded to you.
The full fee for Board Observers, once successfully matched is A$2,600.
Apply to become a Mentee through the Mentoring Opportunities application form.Apply to become a Mentee AUApply to become a Mentee NZ
Apply to become a Mentor through the Mentoring Opportunities application form.Apply to become a Mentor AUApply to become a Mentor NZ