Leaving public practice

Some things to remember before you sign off for good 

In Brief

  • It’s important to have a plan in place before you leave public practice
  • Once you've left public practice, you can cancel your CPP. This won’t affect your membership with us
  • You will need run-off professional indemnity insurance cover for at least seven years after ceasing public practice

Planning to leave public practice

Unlike resigning from any other job, leaving public practice is a bit more complex and takes a bit of planning.

You might choose to hand over to your partners, or sell to a third party. Some people sell their practice and stay on as staff for a handover period.

If you’re in partnership, then the exit of partners should be addressed in the partnership agreement.

This should also deal with the death of a partner. If your partnership agreement doesn’t cover these eventualities, now is the time to raise the issue with your partners and engage a lawyer to address them.

Regardless of whether you’re a sole trader or partner it’s never too early to put a plan in place for your departure.

A business valuation will likely be needed to determine an appropriate value for sale, but before this you should consider what you can do to improve the value of your practice – this should be an ongoing concern.

If you’re a sole practitioner you must have a plan in place to manage the event of your death or incapacity. Who will manage your clients until the business can be sold? If this is done poorly, the value of the business available for your dependents may erode.


We have information sheets available for you to use on business valuation, selling your practice and succession planning.

Learn more

Cancelling your Certificate of Public Practice

If you’re no longer providing services to the public, you don’t need a Certificate of Public Practice. Cancelling it will reduce your obligations and annual subscription.

Cancelling your CPP doesn’t affect or cancel your membership with us. You will remain a valued member of Chartered Accountants ANZ.

Members in Australia

Use our online tool to check if you still need a CPP. If you are uncertain, please call our Service Centre to discuss or seek independent advice.

Begin survey

Cancellation form for Australia

When you are satisfied that you do not need a CPP, complete and submit the CPP cancellation form.

Download form

Members in New Zealand

Please write to the Service Centre if you wish to relinquish your CPP.

Contact us

Cancelling other registrations

Remember to cancel any other registrations you may have as many of these will have ongoing reporting and insurance obligations you may no longer need to do.

Some examples:

  • Registered Company Auditor
  • Licensed Auditor (NZ) / Qualified Auditor (NZ)
  • Registered Company Liquidator
  • Registered trustee in Bankruptcy
  • Registered Tax Agent
  • Registered BAS Agent
  • Accredited Insolvency Practitioner


Claims made against accountants often arise many years after the services are performed.

Even though you’ve retired, you still need to have professional indemnity insurance to protect you if a previous client makes a claim. This is sometimes called run-off cover.

You need run-off cover for at least seven years after ceasing practice. Consider maintaining run-off cover for a longer period if you have concerns about a possible claim.

PI Comparison

Australian members can check out the Policy Comparison 2016 for details on available insurance policies.

Download now

Monitored Member

You will be a Monitored Member for a period of seven years after ceasing practice in Australia.

During this period, we will ask you to periodically confirm you are no longer in public practice and have run-off cover arrangements in place.

Stay in touch

Remember to keep your contact details with us up to date. You can update your own details online by logging in to your account.

Login now