The NSW Standing Committee on Social Issues on the Inquiry called for submissions for the Inquiry into the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (NSW) (the NSW Act), the consultation draft of the Modern Slavery Bill 2019 (the amendment Bill), and the consultation draft of the Modern Slavery Regulation 2019 (NSW) (the Regulation).
"We strongly support the objects of the Act to encourage collaborative action to combat modern slavery."
We recognise the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (NSW) ("the NSW Act") was the first-of-its-kind legislation in Australia and we strongly support the objects of the Act to encourage collaborative action to combat modern slavery. However, given the existence now of the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth) ("the Commonwealth Act"), we do not consider a separate reporting scheme to be necessary.
We also provided comments on the:
- Operability of the proposed anti-slavery scheme
- The effect of the anti-slavery scheme on business, including the supply chain reporting obligations under section 24 of the NSW Act
- The intended application of the anti-slavery scheme with respect to charities and not-for-profit organisations, State Owned Corporations and local councils
- Whether the passage of the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth) renders parts or all of the NSW Act unnecessary, or requiring of amendments to address inconsistences or gaps
- the preferred course of action to address the matters identified