1. Review requirements
To receive recognition as a Business Valuation Specialist through Pathway 1, you must:
- be a Chartered Accountant or an Affiliate with at least 2 years of practical Business Valuation experience within the last 5 years, where at least 20% of employment is related to business valuation and an additional 20% is related to the valuations field of work
- successfully complete the mandatory subjects through the higher education institution of your choice: Macquarie Business School or Kaplan.
- apply for CA ANZ recognition within five years of completing the mandatory subjects
- continue to undertake at least 40% of CPD requirements in business valuation as an approved CA Business Valuation Specialist.
2. Enrol in your chosen course
The Business Valuation Specialisation through Pathway 1 offers a choice of courses at two higher education institutions: Macquarie Business School or Kaplan.
You can apply for the specialisation accreditation after completing the mandatory subjects. You do not need to wait until receiving the qualification. These subjects must be completed within 5 years prior to applying for CA Business Valuation Specialist recognition.
Enrol at Macquarie Business School
Successfully complete four mandatory subjects as part of the Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance / Master of Applied Finance at Macquarie Business School
- Financial System, Participants and Instruments
- Financial Structure and Insights
- Business Valuation
- Private Capital
The estimated annual fee is A$36,000 or A$450 per credit point.
Please note: The prerequisite subjects have changed. These can be clarified in the table below:
|2020 Unit||2021 Unit||Notes|
|Portfolio Management and Valuation||10cp||Financial System, Participants and Instruments||10cp||Incorporates relevant parts of PMV|
|Corporate Finance||10cp||Financial Structure & Insights||10cp||Direct replacement|
|Advance valuation for Corporate Finance||5cp||Business Valuation||10cp||Combines both|
|Applied Business Valuation||5cp|
|Investment and Credit Analysis||5cp||Private Capital||10cp||incorporates ICA Concepts|
Enrol with Kaplan
Successfully complete four mandatory subjects as part of the Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance through Kaplan including:
- FIN202 Fundamental of Asset Valuation (elective)
- FIN205 Business Valuation (elective)
- FIN280 Financial Modelling (elective)
- FIN290 Business Valuation Application (elective)
CAs are eligible for a number of credits as part of this qualification. These include:
- FIN103 Financial Analysis and Valuation (core)
- FIN342Applied Corporate Finance (elective)
- Two (2) general electives (2x elective)
These credits should be discussed further with Kaplan.
The fee for the Kaplan course is to be advised by Kaplan.
3. Upon completion
When you have successfully completed the mandatory subjects and practical experience requirements, you can apply for formal recognition as a CA Business Valuation Specialist.
Apply for recognition
Complete and return the Application for Recognition form, attaching the required references and education documents.Learn more
CA Business Valuation - Pathway 2
Learn more about how to apply for our specialisation program via Pathway 2.Find out more
CA Business Valuation Specialisation main page
Return to the main page for more information about our Business Valuation Specialisation program.Read more