- You can earn the Accounting Technician designation through a practical experience or academic pathway.
- Choose your pathway based on your skills and experience; and whether you want full or part-time study options.
- You can apply for Provisional AT membership once enrolled in an approved course.
Flexible options to suit you
We know everyone has different work experience, knowledge and career goals, which is why we offer the Accounting Technician (AT) designation through a variety of pathways to membership and accreditation.
You can become an AT through:
- Academic pathway
- Practical experience pathway
Each option has its' own set of entry requirements. Before choosing your pathway and enrolling you’ll need to become a provisional member with us.
The courses offered by the Career Academy (including The Career Academy Accounting Pathway Program and The Career Academy Diploma in Accounting) are not recognised, accredited, approved, sponsored or endorsed by CA ANZ and are not required to apply for membership to CA ANZ or for admission to any CA ANZ program or to the Accounting Technician College.
AT entry requirements
Become an Accounting Technician by choosing academic study.
The Academic pathway involves tertiary study through the New Zealand Diploma in Business course or equivalent university degree level study. You can apply to become a provisional accounting technician while you study towards an approved course.
You will need to contact the institution where you plan to study for their specific enrolment requirements.
From 1 January 2019, to be admitted as an AT member of Chartered Accountants ANZ (CA ANZ), applicants will need to hold one of the following academic qualifications:
- NZ Diploma of Business (Level 5) Accounting Strand (1 year full-time study NZQA2459)
- NZ Diploma of Business (Level 6) Accounting Strand (1 year full-time study NZQA2460)
- NZ National Diploma in Business Level 6 (2 years full time study NZQA1499) with specified topic coverage
- Completed at least the first year of study of a CA ANZ accredited degree and passed subjects in required AT competency areas (refer to AT Approved Academic Course List 2019)
- Overseas or other non-accredited qualification equivalent to at least NZQF Level 5 assessed by CA ANZ as covering required AT competency areas
- AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma qualification and New Zealand Taxation (completion of NZDipBus Taxation 606 or equivalent) or AAT Level 4 Diploma in Accounting (CA ANZ) AQ2013 including NZ Indirect Tax, NZ Personal Tax and NZ Business Tax.
Get started by completing the Provisional membership application form.
If you have an overseas qualification you can apply for Provisional membership by firstly:
- Having your qualification assessed and recognised by Chartered Accountants ANZ
- Completing further study to close any competency gaps through accredited tertiaries
Standard Assessment of Qualifications
Download the form and apply.
This path enables you to be formally recognised for your skills and experience, leading to a formal Accounting Technician designation.
To apply, you need to have at least five year’s accounting work experience.
But first you need to apply and become a provisional member. Then work with a manager/referee to complete an Assessment of Competence which confirms your skills and knowledge.
Ready to apply?
Contact us to register interest.