- Regional Council Chair recap of the month's events and news
- Upcoming events
The past few months have seen a huge amount of activity across the State and I am constantly impressed by the energy and enthusiasm of Penny and the entire Queensland state office team. They are truly passionate about engaging with Queensland members and providing relevant services to our diverse membership base. On behalf of Queensland Regional Council, I would like to express my thanks to Penny’s whole team for their ongoing commitment.
On Monday 8 October, the 90th Annual (Ordinary) General Meeting of the Queensland Region of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand was held in Waterfront Place. Jane Stanton, 2018 President of CAANZ, was in attendance to help recognise the service of those members who, during the year, have attained 25, 40, 50 and 60 years of service respectively as Chartered Accountants. It was an inspiring evening and a great opportunity to recognise the voluntary contributions of so many of our members in Queensland.
During the same week, we hosted The Honourable Jackie Trad, Queensland Deputy Premier, Treasurer, Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, and Member for South Brisbane at a lunch with approximately 15 representatives from public practice, the public sector and commerce. The lunch was part of our ongoing program of engagement with all levels of government and follows a similar lunch last month with Lord Mayor Graham Quirk. We discussed a number of topics relevant to members including:
- The challenge of longer term budgetary sustainability and tax policy at all levels of government – and the role of State and Local governments in this;
- Strategic priorities in relation to infrastructure in both Brisbane and Queensland; and
- The challenge of securing inclusive growth across our diverse State
In late July, we held our Regional Council meeting at Hummingbird House, which is Queensland’s only children’s hospice which provides short break stays, family support services, creative therapies and care at the end of life for children with life-limiting conditions and their families. Hummingbird House is an amazing charity which provides invaluable assistance to Queensland families in the most difficult of circumstances. It was great to have Rick Ellis, CAANZ CEO, attend the meeting and provide a personal update on the status of the key strategic initiatives the CAANZ executive are driving this year.
Since my last update, I have also had the pleasure of attending a number of our training events and certificate presentation ceremonies across Queensland including Cairns, Mackay, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. It was great to connect with so many members and to observe the positive impact our various regional groups and committees are having. I would really like to acknowledge the tireless efforts of our active regional Queensland group chairs, who voluntarily put in an enormous amount of their own time to drive excellent member engagement events and connections.
Other key areas of ongoing activity include participation by some Queensland members in the initial pilots of MyCA, our new community hub platform, as well as a range of ongoing education events. September also saw another very well attended CA Certificate Presentation Ceremony in Brisbane, which Jane Stanton recognised our newest members and other award winners.
If you have any specific matters you would like Regional Council to be aware of, please do not hesitate to reach out via Penny and the Brisbane office team.
Richard Wanstall FCA
Queensland Regional Council Chair
Queensland Events 2018
- Sharing Knowledge Brisbane – Professional Standards Roadshow: Tuesday 13 November
- Mackay End of Year Members Event: Wednesday 14 November
- Forensic Accounting Breakfast: Wednesday 14 November
- Future of Business Lunch: Wednesday 14 November
- Essential Tax Update (Gold Coast): Thursday 15 November
- Building Knowledge – Not for Profit: Thursday 15 November
- Gold Coast Members Group: Wednesday 21 November
- Rockhampton End of Year Members Event: Thursday 22 November
- Public Practice Program: Monday 26 November and Tuesday 27 November
- Sunshine Coast Members Group: Wednesday 28 November
- Gold Coast End of Year Members Event: Thursday 6 December
- Toowoomba End of Year Members Event: Wednesday 12 December
Opportunities and Updates
OSR Compliance Seminar
The Queensland Office of State Revenue (OSR) invites you to attend a presentation about its compliance program for the 2018–19 financial year.
You will hear about the compliance focus for duties and grants, payroll tax, land tax and mining and petroleum royalties. You’ll also learn about OSR’s transformation program, which is helping clients to meet their obligations.
Date: Thursday 8 November
Venue: Level 41, 1 William Street, Brisbane
Don't leave it too lateRegister here
Please contact Penny EllengerEmail here