- The first edition of the joint publication highlights the difference accountants can make in the climate change challenge
- The alliance represents 900,000 professional accountants across 181 countries
- The alliance has created a powerful voice to advocate on behalf of members of both organisations and the global profession
By Mark Millar, president of ACCA, and Nives Botica Redmayne, president of CA ANZ
Welcome to our new, joint special edition on change and action for sustainable business.
As global strategic partners, ACCA and CA ANZ have joined forces to highlight the vital role professional accountants play in driving sustainable businesses and economies.
The climate crisis is becoming ever more real. The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, issued in August 2021, shows that the metaphor of ‘operating on a burning platform’ is now a startling reality.
It’s no longer just a phrase to describe pressing urgency, but a truth for many economies. The discussions at the United Nations COP26 Climate Change Conference are urgent and important.
Sustainability continues to be at the heart of our strategies and it’s why we have joined together for this special edition to help you steer through these challenges.
ACCA and CA ANZ believe that the accountancy profession has a vital role to play and can make a huge difference. Steps professional accountants can take right now include:
- getting executive level support for climate action in their organisations
- championing and driving climate action and net zero transition plans
- ensuring a holistic approach to decision-making and strategy, considering climate risk and social responsibility – strategy and sustainability are no longer separate
- helping to build trust through ensuring that financial and non-financial reporting are integrated within a clear narrative
- measuring, monitoring and reporting clearly and meaningfully on non-financial information avoiding greenwashing
- identifying the risks and mitigating against them
- increasing their sustainability knowledge, including their integrated thinking and reporting skills, and that of their colleagues and teams.
The judgment, skills and knowledge of professional accountants can make a huge difference. The profession’s data-informed, ethical approach, along with our members’ breadth of view, means it has a vital role in creating sustainable businesses and organisations that deliver financial returns, while also generating value for society, and being environmentally responsible for our planet.
ACCA and CA ANZ are here to help you navigate this fast-evolving global sustainability landscape. We do this by providing members and future members with the insights, guides, tools and learning so that accountants have the skills, knowledge and competencies to lead the changes needed to do all of this.
As professional bodies, we’re very aware of our responsibilities, too. That’s why sustainability continues to be at the heart of our strategies and it’s why we have joined together for this special edition to help you steer through these challenges.
Read the edition now
Access the Sustainability Special Edition that highlights how the accountancy profession can make a difference in the battle against global climate change.Click here to read
Our alliance with ACCA
The alliance offers scale and reach to support all members throughout their careers, as we shape the future of the accountancy profession.Read more