- International Women’s Day is held on 8th March annually
- 2021 themes are Women Lead, and Choose to Challenge
- Chartered Accountants ANZ has a number of events and opportunities to celebrate the day and help showcase women in the Accounting industry
Each year, communities around the world gather together to celebrate International Women's Day on March 8. It is a "global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women" that has occurred annually since 1911 according to the International Women's Day website*.
A different theme each year highlights and inspires action to bring about gender equality. In 2021, the celebrations will embrace the different way our world currently works, centring around two themes: "Women Lead" as championed by UN Women Australia and New Zealand^, and "Choose to Challenge" as outlined by the International Women's Day website*;
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand continues to support the diversification of the membership, and deliver opportunities to women enabling them to excel as Chartered Accountants. Ongoing annual remuneration research conducted by Chartered Accountants ANZ highlights that a gender gap may have reduced in early career stages and less senior roles, which is a positive indicator. However, in more senior roles such as Directors and CFOs, both the average and median remuneration between males and females indicates a gender gap does still exist.
CA ANZ continues to support the diversification of the membership, and deliver opportunities to women enabling them to excel as Chartered Accountants.
Whilst these efforts and support for diversity occur year round, each year the membership takes the opportunity to mark International Women's Day through local events and gatherings. In 2021, where restrictions allow, our regional offices are hosting a number of special events and invite members of all genders, and interested people to attend.
Our CEO, Ainslie van Onselen, is delighted to be participating in a joint event as part of our alliance with ACCA, which will be available for all members to attend virtually on the day.
Celebrating International Women's Day is a great way to show the positive impact of diversity in the Accounting industry and is an opportunity to highlight the importance of the day to your team and the broader business community. Your celebration can be as big or as small as suits you, your business, and your local restrictions.
Here are a few ideas on how you can celebrate International Women's Day on and in the lead up to 8 March:
- Encourage your team to book in time to attend the online International Women’s Day virtual event to hear from two leading women heading up influential member bodies CA ANZ and ACCA
- Arrange an event or social gathering to celebrate and share the achievements and contributions of the women in your business
- Attend an online or in person networking or CPD event for accounting professionals to connect with likeminded accountants and further your knowledge on how to accelerate gender equality
- Share photos, videos and/or articles highlighting the achievements of the women in your teams or in your industry to your business social media and internal channels
- Investigate and invest in opportunities to support women in business and accounting.
Would you like to share your International Women's Day celebrations with Chartered Accountants ANZ? Share your photos, videos, and stories on social media using #IWD2021 and #CAANZ or @tag Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand on your preferred platforms.
If you use such hashtags or @tag, we may feature your posts on CA ANZ’s social media accounts and website to showcase how members are celebrating International Women's Day.
* For information about International Women's Day and international theme visit https://www.internationalwomensday.com
^ For more information on UN Women Australia's International Women's Day theme visit https://unwomen.org.au/international-womens-day/
Attend an International Women's Day event near you
Choose to attend in-person events in your city, or join the live stream online.Find out more
Find other Diversity Events
Explore the Education Store for Diversity Series events year roundRead more