- International Women’s Day is held on 8th March annually
- 2020 themes are Generation Equality, and Each for Equal
- Chartered Accountants ANZ has a number of events and opportunities to celebrate the day and help showcase women in the Accounting industry
Each year, communities around the world gather together to celebrate International Women's Day on March 8. It is a "global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women" that has occurred annually since 1911 according to the International Women's Day website*.
A different theme each year highlights and inspires action to bring about gender equality. In 2020, the celebrations will centre around two themes: "Each for Equal" as championed by the International Women's Day website*; and "Generation Equality" as championed by UN Women Australia^
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand continues to support the diversification of the membership, and deliver opportunities to women enabling them to excel as Chartered Accountants. Ongoing annual remuneration research conducted by Chartered Accountants ANZ highlights that a gender gap may have reduced in early career stages and less senior roles, which is a positive indicator. However, in more senior roles such as Directors and CFOs, both the average and median remuneration between males and females indicates a gender gap does still exist.
CA ANZ continues to support the diversification of the membership, and deliver opportunities to women enabling them to excel as Chartered Accountants.
Whilst these efforts and support for diversity occur year round, each year the membership takes the opportunity to mark International Women's Day through local events and gatherings. In 2020, our regional offices are hosting a number of special events for the occasion which members of all genders, and interested people are invited to attend.
Celebrating International Women's Day is a great way to show the positive impact of diversity in the Accounting industry and is an opportunity to highlight the importance of the day to your team and the broader business community. Your celebration can be as big or as small as suits you and your business.
Here are a few ideas on how you can celebrate International Women's Day on and in the lead up to 8 March:
- Arrange an event or social gathering to share the achievements and contributions of the women in your business
- Take photos or video of your accounting team celebrating International Women's Day, or the achievements of the women in your teams to share on your business social media and internal channels
- Attend a networking or CPD event for accounting professionals to connect with likeminded accountants and further your knowledge on how to accelerate gender equality
- Investigate and invest in opportunities to support women in business and accounting.
Would you like to share your International Women's Day celebrations with Chartered Accountants ANZ? Share your photos, videos, and stories on social media using #IWD2020 and #CAANZ or @tag Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand on your preferred platforms.
* For information about International Women's Day and international theme visit https://www.internationalwomensday.com
^ For more information on UN Women Australia's International Women's Day theme visit https://unwomen.org.au/international-womens-day/