- Less than 90 days to go until the World Congress of Accountants in Sydney.
- Opportunity for CA ANZ members to bring expertise to the fore on the world stage.
- CA ANZ members are urged to support where they can and get involved.
The countdown for the world’s premier accounting conference being held in Sydney has begun.
The World Congress of Accountants (WCOA) gets underway on 5 November and runs for the following three days, bringing together 6,000 accountants and other business, finance and policy leaders from 130 countries.
They will gather to hear world-class speakers and mingle with their peers from around the world.
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) and CPA Australia are co-hosts of the conference.
The conference’s speakers include:
- Professor Niall Ferguson – Professor of History, Harvard University; Senior Research Fellow, Jesus College, University of Oxford; Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Ban Ki-moon – Secretary-General of the United Nations (2007-2016); President and Chair, Global Green Growth Institute.
- Michael Woodford MBE – former Chief Executive Officer, Olympus Corporation.
- Diana B. Henriques – New York Times Best Selling Author, New York Times.
- Ayesha Khanna – Co-Founder and CEO, ADDO AI.
- Sir Ken Robinson – author, Creative Schools.
- Alison Martin – Group Chief Risk Officer, Zurich Insurance Group; Member, Steering Board, WEF Global Risks Report 2018.
- Robyn Denholm FCA – Chief Operations Officer, Telstra Corporation; board member and Audit Committee Chair, Tesla Motors.
The conference’s Business Connect program is an opportunity to meet like-minded attendees, build networks and identify business opportunities.
A Business Connect Lounge is available during conference breaks. Industry leaders, experts and business leaders will also host short sessions and facilitate discussions on particular topics of interest.
CA ANZ Chief Executive Officer Rick Ellis says the conference’s “content-rich programme offers a strong foundation on the key challenges and opportunities in the global accounting profession and delivers a roadmap to take the profession into the future”.
Exclusive pricing for members
As CA ANZ are co-hosting the event, members can take advantage of special rates with 15% off to attend the World Congress of Accountants. Visit the WCOA Sydney 2018 website to register.
What our members and thought leaders say:
We asked members why they will be attending.
I work with many accountants operating in the public sector and with those working in professional practice and, like me, I suspect their biggest challenge with the 2018 programme will be choosing between the amazing list of concurrent sessions and speakers. I’m also looking forward to connecting and learning from professional accountants in others countries facing similar opportunities and challenges.
“I’m looking forward to the session on global risks and future shocks with Ban Ki-moon, former UN secretary general speaking. It will be great to hear his perspective on the changing nature of risks that businesses are having to deal with. Risks, such as climate change and cyber breaches, are increasingly interconnected and more complex and this means business needs to find new ways to identify and manage them in the future.”
Karen McWilliams FCA, Business Reform Leader, CA ANZ
“I’m looking forward to the powerhouse of females talking at Sydney’s World Congress of Accountants 2018. Trust Expert, Rachel Botsman is sharing her tips on how to circumnavigate a new era where we’re trusting strangers and bots more than established authority, like banks and the media. Chief Executive of ACCA, Helen Brand shall be talking about new ways of working in the digital future, and Indigenous accountant Shelley Cable will share’s how she believes we can empower indigenous potential through financial literacy - a topic close to my heart. The WCOA programme is looking sensational.”
Heather Smith CA, cloud solutions and business automation expert, author and speaker
“Trust is a must! It’s great to see so many global leaders talking about the critical role of accountants in building and maintaining trust. My tip: if you’re a preparer, user or auditor of financial reports, study the form for Day 2. Converging Reporting Frameworks/Assurance of the Future, Ethical Dilemmas in Changing Times and Accounting Scandals that Shocked the World… a trifecta that’s a guaranteed win.”
Ceri-Ann Ross CA, Reporting Leader, Leadership & Advocacy – CA ANZ
I’m really looking forward to the adapt sessions. Being able to work on new world problems with peers from all over the world can’t be offered anywhere else on this scale.
David Boyar FCA, Chief Executive Officer, Sequel CFO