- Recent CA ANZ advocacy activities
- Recently finalised consultations
During June, CA ANZ Australian Tax Team's advocacy activities included:
- Discussions with the ATO on Black Economy initiatives
- Post-election tax updates by Michael Croker (Tax Leader Australia) to CAs
- Discussions with ATO's Private Wealth Group and Inspector-General of Taxation and Taxation Ombudsman
- ATO Private Groups Stewardship Group meeting
- ATO discussions on modernising business registers, director ID numbers
- Treasury meetings (small business issues, remote area concessions, CGT main residence exemption and non-residents, base rate entities).
The Tax Teams on both sides of the Tasman have been liaising with tax officials to resolve practical problems (e.g. tax residency determination) under the Australia-New Zealand tax treaty, now impacted by the Multilateral Instrument.
Launch of UNSW's Tax Clinic
Michael Croker recently attended the launch of UNSW's Tax Clinic. UNSW has reached out to NSW local community legal aid centres and care organisations offering to help those who cannot afford professional tax help. There are 9 other university-based tax clinics across Australia also seeking volunteers and volunteers are welcome from the CA community:
- The Australian National University Charles Darwin University
- Charles Darwin University
- Curtin University
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- University of Adelaide
- University of Melbourne
- University of Tasmania
- University of Western Sydney
If you are interested in volunteering contacts us.
New Inspector General of Taxation
CA ANZ welcomes the appointment of Karen Payne CA, to the position of Inspector General of Taxation.
As well as being a Chartered Accountant, the new IGoT is also a member of the Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation board and has previously been a tax partner with Minter Ellison, specialising in corporate and international tax. She has lectured at universities and holds extensive academic and legal qualifications. Members of the CA ANZ Tax team recently met with Karen to discuss her work program and plans for the role.
Recently Finalised Items
Submission - Review of the Tax Practitioners Board
Submission lodged on 8 May 2019 to the Treasury on the independent review of the effectiveness of the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), including the Tax Agent Services Act 2009 (TASA) and the Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 (TASR).Find out more
Comments TPB Letters of Engagement draft practice note
CA ANZ submitted comments on 10 June 2019 to the CEO of the TPB in relation to the guidance.Find out more
Submission - Remote area tax concessions
A submission to the Productivity Commission for its study into the zone tax offset and the related remote area tax concessions and payments was lodged on 3 May 2019.Find out more
Connect with the Australian Tax Team
Members are encouraged to stay engaged in the consultation process and share suggestions and feedback.Contact us