Migration skills assessment general information

Migration skills assessment - general information

Q. Is CA ANZ the correct assessing authority for my application?

A: CA ANZ is approved by Immigration New Zealand to perform skills assessments for accountants who wish to apply for a New Zealand visa using the Regional Skills Shortage List (RSSL).

Q. Can you advise if my qualifications/skilled employment are suitable before I submit my application?

A: No, it is not possible to offer pre-assessment advice due to the complex nature of a skills assessment. A formal assessment needs to be completed before any advice is provided.

Q. Do I need an adviser authority to apply for a skills assessment?

A: No, applications can be made by individuals as well as adviser authority. Ensure you understand the details of your personal visa requirements as set by Immigration New Zealand or engage the services of an adviser authority to assist you with your visa application before submitting your skills assessment application to CA ANZ. 

Q. If my overseas qualification is not comparable to an Australian bachelor’s degree, am I eligible to apply for skills assessment?

A: No, to apply for skills assessment you must hold a New Zealand awarded qualification on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) level 7 or higher or overseas qualifications comparable to the standard of the New Zealand bachelor’s degree qualification.

Q.  Can you provide me with a list of recognised universities and degree qualifications?

A: Please refer to our CAANZ Accredited Tertiary Courses (ATC) lists in the Related Downloads section.

To assess the general education level of overseas tertiary and professional qualifications, CA ANZ follows the guidelines of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority

Q. My assessment outcome letter tells me that I must complete further studies. What are my options?

A: If you have an outstanding mandatory competency area, you can complete further studies via:

Q. How long is my skills assessment valid for?

A: A skills assessment is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of the assessment.

Q. What is a review/appeal application?

A: A review or appeal can be requested if you hold a valid assessment previously undertaken by CA ANZ.

A review or appeal can be requested for the following reasons:  

  • additional subjects completed after a negative assessment
  • appeal of original outcome

An appeal application is available if you disagree with our assessment outcome and believe an error has been made. Please note, an appeal application can only be submitted within 60 days from the date of your skills assessment outcome letter. 

Q. I have worked several years as an accountant, but I do not have any formal qualifications, can you assess my skills?

A: No, you must hold a New Zealand awarded qualification on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) level 7 or higher or overseas qualifications comparable to the standard of the New Zealand bachelor’s degree qualification.  

If you do not hold tertiary or professional qualification, assessable as comparable to at least the level of a New Zealand bachelor’s degree, your qualification will be assessed as not suitable for migration skills assessment. 

Migration skills Assessment supporting documents

Q. I do not have a university handbook/course outline, what can I do?

A: Most universities keep information about their courses. If you have not retained your course outlines you must contact your university and ask them to provide you with the description of the subjects.

If you studied in recent years, the information may also be available on the university website and you may print out the relevant sections, providing you include the website address on all the pages of the downloaded handbook.

If the years and subject names on your statement of academic record do not correspond to those of the handbook information, documentation from the university must be supplied to state that the information applies to the years in which you completed your study.

Without course outlines we cannot fully assess your qualifications, as we cannot determine what you studied. We cannot accept a statutory declaration in lieu of course descriptions certified by the university.

Q. How much information should my syllabus contain?

A: The syllabus/course description should contain enough detail to demonstrate that you have covered the competency areas mandatory for your nominated occupation. We do not provide a list of topics we use to assess the syllabus.

Q. What if my qualifications are from China?

A: If you hold a Chinese degree you will need to apply to have your bachelor’s degree certificate, graduation certificate and academic transcript verified through the Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS).

Q. Do my documents need to be translated into English?

A: Yes. Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation completed by a certified translator. You must include an original colour scanned copy of the original language documents as well as an original colour scanned copy of the translated document with your application.

If you reside in New Zealand, you must enclose an English translation completed by a translator accredited by the New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters.

If you reside outside New Zealand, you must enclose an English translation completed by a translator who is certified by the appropriate authorities of your country of residence. The translation must include the full name of the translator, contact details, the name of the company/ department the translator works for (if applicable) and certificate number (and/or stamp) of the translator (if applicable).

More information

All about skills assessment for accountants in New Zealand.

Read more


The content on this website is provided for general information purposes and may not take into account detail that could be significant in your particular context. The website and its content is not a substitute for reading and understanding (as applicable) the Chartered Accountants ANZ’s Member Handbook, constitutional documents, legislation, regulations, professional guidelines or other applicable laws, or where necessary, obtaining specific advice regarding a specific issue or consulting with New Zealand Immigration and obtaining independent legal advice regarding migration.

For our full website terms and conditions click here.

Search related topics