Skills assessment criteria
- Degree comparability - you must hold a qualification assessed by CA ANZ as equivalent to at least a New Zealand bachelor’s degree (NZQF level 7 or higher) with coverage of mandatory competency areas.
- Competency areas - you must successfully complete mandatory competency areas relevant to your nominated occupation
|Competency areas||Accountant (General) 221111|
|Accounting Systems and Processes||Mandatory|
|Financial Accounting and Reporting*||Mandatory|
|Finance and Finance Management||Mandatory|
|Audit and Assurance||Optional|
*Financial Accounting & Reporting includes both study in financial accounting and accounting theory.
**Business Law includes both study in Commercial law and Corporations law.
Australian and New Zealand qualifications
If you have completed an Australian or New Zealand qualification, you can use CA ANZ accredited tertiary courses (ATC) lists in the related downloads section below to ensure you have completed all of the mandatory competency areas for your skills assessment:
- choose the Accredited Tertiary Course list below relevant to the year you started your course
- locate your tertiary institution
- choose your level of qualification from the schedule
- check your subject codes and subject names against the required competency areas in the schedule
If you have an outstanding mandatory competency area, you can complete further studies via:
- our CA Foundation Pathway or
- enrolment in one of the Accredited Tertiary Courses listed below.
To assess the general education level of overseas tertiary and professional qualifications, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand follows the guidelines of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.
When it has been established that your qualifications are comparable to at least a New Zealand Bachelor Degree (NZQF level 7 or higher), we will then examine the individual subjects to determine coverage of the required competency areas.
You may need an International Qualification Assessment (IQA) from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority stating the comparable NZQF qualification. If you are unsure about which visa you are applying for, or whether you need an IQA for your immigration application, contact New Zealand Immigration.
Apply now for a skills assessment in New Zealand
Understand the application process.Read more
The content on this website is provided for general information purposes and may not take into account detail that could be significant in your particular context. The website and its content is not a substitute for reading and understanding (as applicable) the Chartered Accountants ANZ’s Member Handbook, constitutional documents, legislation, regulations, professional guidelines or other applicable laws, or where necessary, obtaining specific advice regarding a specific issue or consulting with New Zealand Immigration and obtaining independent legal advice regarding migration.
For our full website terms and conditions click here.