- When CA ANZ was formed, we committed to conducting a Governance Review to ensure our structures continue to serve our members effectively
- Key recommendations will further strengthen our governance structures and have been endorsed by Council and approved by the Board
- A Member vote is anticipated in 2019 to approve the proposed recommendations to amend the Royal Charter and By-Laws
When the Australian and New Zealand legacy organisations merged to form Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), we committed to undertaking an independent Governance Review to ensure our structures continue to serve our Members well into the future.
In 2016, Cameron Ralph (now Cameron.ralph.khoury) were engaged to conduct an independent review of CA ANZ’s governance framework. Cameron Ralph ran an extensive process, involving consultation with Members and adding insights from other member-based organisations.
The Governance Review found our governance structure is fundamentally sound and fit for purpose. A set of recommendations were provided to ensure CA ANZ’s governance continued to represent the best interests of the Members now and into the future. The implications of the recommendations were considered by a working party of members and then endorsed by Council and approved by the Board.
The key proposed recommendations reflect three main areas:
- Increasing representation of Members on your Council to reflect our broad membership.
- Providing a clearer approach to succession for both the Council and the Board.
- Simplifying how we refer to our committees to improve consistency and clarity.
The Governance Review is being led by the Nominations and Governance Committee who are appointed by the Council and is Chaired by Tim Gullifer.
Some of the recommendations made in the Governance Review require changes to the Royal Charter and By-Laws to be put into effect. A Member vote is anticipated in 2019 to approve the proposed recommendations to amend the Royal Charter and By-Laws. The timing of the vote is subject to change contingent on a review by the Australian Governor-General.
This page will contain regular updates on the progress of the Governance Review and next steps.
Governance Review – Report Three – Recommendations to Board and Council.
2019 Member Vote
Find out more about the 2019 member vote.Read More